WhiteCrow Walking

My solo walk across America began in Maine. I walked for nearly 3 years carrying a backpack and facing countless dangers, as well as met wonderful people I could have never made it without. From bullets to bears I moved through mountains of snow and across burning desert country. The end result will be a book, and the fruition of a childhood dream. This is a blog from the field with rough stories about my steps along the way.

24 October 2006

Geared Up

Base Camp Betty has arrived, and departed leaving my pack straining at the seams. There is no way to thank someone that crosses America over and over, making sure that my down has enough loft, or my clothes block the coming winds. Just to be sure to say 'thank you' before she is a speck rolling away is I can do. Early on, when the walk was just an idea, Betty asked to be my base. A person that would send or deliver gear as needed, and recieve the gear that passed its seasonal need. It was not yet clear to me that there would be a great value in such a selfless person being out there to send a smile, fleece, and an unfaltering belief in the journey I am undertaking. Betty has proved to be a friend I doubt that I could ever appreciate enough.
My pack has a few pounds of temp weight that'll be eaten a.s.a.p., dried fruit, nuts, coffee beans, dark chocolate, and veggie burger mix, health bars. I chew as Betty drove away, staring at CrowDog as if he has just wet the carpet. Heavy is heavy. 70 pounds, water not included.
CrowDog is, for lack of other words, fat. The teepee tent is gone for the winter. Seven pounds of nylon protection has taken its place. My sun umbrella that saved my scalp in LA, and TX is also in a sedan heading north. Winter is coming. Some days this seems like a lie. Today my small brim tan Tilley hat has all it can do to shield me from the sun unlike the wide four inch brim of the Tilley that is now northern bound--hunting season and big white hat don't mix. It is overwhelming to exchange so much gear. Sleeping bag, sleeping pads, clothes, hats, sleeping bag silk liner, gaiters, windproof fleece sweater, and several little toys that make winter camp a little more agreeable.