WhiteCrow Walking

My solo walk across America began in Maine. I walked for nearly 3 years carrying a backpack and facing countless dangers, as well as met wonderful people I could have never made it without. From bullets to bears I moved through mountains of snow and across burning desert country. The end result will be a book, and the fruition of a childhood dream. This is a blog from the field with rough stories about my steps along the way.

06 October 2006

Northward Bound, Whitewright,TX

By tomorrow evening,before the sun sets fire to the sand, I'll be in Oklahoma. The recent news from Lancaster, PA shortened my stride, and removed more than a little sleep from my bed in the starlight. Having lived a few days with the Amish for just a few days of this walk last winter I can not say that I know them as deeply as I would have liked. I slept in their homes, ate their foods and traded stories like old silver...or in this case plain harnesses. For the short days I got to spend with them, I was blessed. The children of the Amish are what American children used to be(yes, some still are, but this is rare). I was called sir of Mr. WhiteCrow by all of the children respectfully, while never being reminded. It was rare that these children were not smiling or waiting on a grin to come. My heart goes out to the Amish.