WhiteCrow Walking

My solo walk across America began in Maine. I walked for nearly 3 years carrying a backpack and facing countless dangers, as well as met wonderful people I could have never made it without. From bullets to bears I moved through mountains of snow and across burning desert country. The end result will be a book, and the fruition of a childhood dream. This is a blog from the field with rough stories about my steps along the way.

23 February 2006

This Is Only A Test

Although this is a book in progress, I think now is a good time to relate that this is not the book. For every page of this type you see on the screen, I have pages and pages of notes I haven't touched or reread. I try to pick out the dirt as I write. I pull out the large floating leaves. Alot of words are spelled wrong. Alot of what I write is entirely in the now...still thinking onto screen. This is not an excuse for anything I have written, rather it is a promise that a cleaning will come where thoughts will ease into words, and details not here will round off events.
Fantastic souls that I have blessed to have touch my life in these miles will have more form in yours... throughout this walk. Yes,it is a crazy world. Alot is broken. Even in this broken landscape I have seen good works that have all the faces above the clouds smiling down at what is still alive. Homes have been opened to me, money given, groceries have been already paid for at ther checkout desk. I have eaten with the poor until I remembered that I came from the poor, and I fasted at ten degrees for a day and a half as snow held me in my tent, finally eating old dry corn to stay warm while I slept. Through this all I have put my words in a book that brought me comfort. Writing, I became less alone.
If I have not told you already, I am from the land of misfit toys. Yet, I have learned that people DO want a 'Charlie IN The Box". We are all slightly broken, imperfect, lonely. The only thing different about me, not better, is that this is the one dream that wouldn't go to sleep. This Walk wouldn't let me go. I started to wonder. Just maybe this is the magic, the beauty in me that has yet to come out. Maybe it is just a walk before I grow old. Maybe this is some grand plan, a healing that could have come through no other means. I do know that when I go to sleep by a river that is telling me the name of every rock, I feel better about my life. I feel better about the man I'm becoming. Thanks for walking with me.

Jesse WhiteCrow