WhiteCrow Walking

My solo walk across America began in Maine. I walked for nearly 3 years carrying a backpack and facing countless dangers, as well as met wonderful people I could have never made it without. From bullets to bears I moved through mountains of snow and across burning desert country. The end result will be a book, and the fruition of a childhood dream. This is a blog from the field with rough stories about my steps along the way.

14 January 2006

Leesburg, VA Back Country-Horse Country

Crossing the Potomac from Whites Ferry is a trip back in time if you relax your brow, forgeting the sound of the motor. A cable guides the diamond steel flatbed boat across the river current..at that point it is how it has been for hundreds years. The cars and trucks that are at rest beside you are of no consequence. We are on the brown water. What once was, still moves in and out of lungs, smelling of moist river air, and winter fields tired from the short damp days. Somewhere through the trees just south of this barge named Gen. Jubal A. Early, old wars are drilled out with a gentle coughing of powder charges in the mid-morning light, telling some poor souls to lie down all over again. I have seen bodies bloated, near yellow after days in the sun. I know lead personally: the holes it makes...in bodies,and families. When the ferry stops I shy up the old simple road to a sound almost gentle of more firing that goes to my stomach. War I understand, but that doesn't mean that I can't love the part where we all yell,"Get up, get up. Let's all go home!"


Running out of time. I will get in touch soon.