WhiteCrow Walking

My solo walk across America began in Maine. I walked for nearly 3 years carrying a backpack and facing countless dangers, as well as met wonderful people I could have never made it without. From bullets to bears I moved through mountains of snow and across burning desert country. The end result will be a book, and the fruition of a childhood dream. This is a blog from the field with rough stories about my steps along the way.

01 February 2008

Walking Down

Although I climb now into Mount Rainer before again hooking toward the western coast, I am winding down the walk to Cape Flattery on the Washington N.W. coastal point. In approx. 5 weeks the walk will be over except for the last ten to twenty miles to be shared. (Of course this date will be fine tuned as I leave the land of extreme weather for the coast of rain so completion plans can be made.) All are welcome from across America to come and walk this last day(or as much as your comfortable walking)as I take the last steps to the sea. Some have already made plans, and there are those that would love to be there but are unable. I will be beyond thrilled to walk the last miles with those I have met across this country of ours. Even if you are unable to make the distance to northern Washington I will carry names, faces, memories of all of you that have shared your lives and personal America with me. This has been the walk based on a child's dream. This has been the walk of a lifetime.
I will update dates and information as possible.



(Taken from the children's book Paddle To The Sea)


For that instant he looked like his own paddle.
There was a song in his heart.
It crept to his lips.
But only the wind and the water could hear.
You little traveler, you made the journey, the long journey.
You know things I have yet to know you little traveler.
You are given a name , a true name in my father's lodge.
Good medicine little traveler.
You are truely a paddle person.

(As read by Chris in the Morning, KBHR radio, 'Northern Exposure' ep. The Final Frontier / Paddle To The Sea)