WhiteCrow Walking

My solo walk across America began in Maine. I walked for nearly 3 years carrying a backpack and facing countless dangers, as well as met wonderful people I could have never made it without. From bullets to bears I moved through mountains of snow and across burning desert country. The end result will be a book, and the fruition of a childhood dream. This is a blog from the field with rough stories about my steps along the way.

01 May 2006

Summertown, TN Heading To The The Farm

Walking through Laurenceburg, Tenn., I venture into the radio station WDXE 106.7 FM. It is weekend quiet. Inside the door I'm greeted warmly with smiles and outstretched hands. Hello's turn into an interview with Jack Cheatwood for a radio show. I forget to get nervous. The walk has become my life to the extent that I don't think about it as separate anymore. my words relax into a flow of events already lived, and of course reasons.
"Have you been to The Farm," asks Jack? "You have read Peter's book, haven't you? Well just twenty miles up route 43 you hop onto route 20, and your there. Your already so close. You have to check it out." I think of Walton's Mountain not being the picture I gathered in my head from a childhood of too much television. From pages I can barely recall in an old yellow paperback, I try to collect from my memory what The Farm will be like. It is time wasted. Over thirty years have gone by.
Twenty years ago, I sat down with Peter Jenkin's first book. So many years have folded over. Right away I know that I'll be going to The Farm. It will be my respectful nod to Peter and his walk before I head south. Although I am told that Peter lives close to Laurenceburg also, I have no intention in walking the worn path to his door. My walk has grown it's own face,