WhiteCrow Walking

My solo walk across America began in Maine. I walked for nearly 3 years carrying a backpack and facing countless dangers, as well as met wonderful people I could have never made it without. From bullets to bears I moved through mountains of snow and across burning desert country. The end result will be a book, and the fruition of a childhood dream. This is a blog from the field with rough stories about my steps along the way.

01 December 2005

Police State

New Jersey is not New York. Day by day my polished ignorance, and prejudice is being slaughtered. The previously held mental picture I had of New Jersey is not of the rolling hills, and friendly people I have been so happy to meet. Here is a place where three different police cars have all pulled up beside me with genuine hello's, and thought out questions because they really wanted to understand this man on a journey across America.
I was honored by each car police car that stopped. In New York I felt my body cringe whenever a cruiser pulled up. A stoic man would glare at me, and the race off. Now I find that I have a smile out before the police car has completed its stop. This is a great change.
Yesterday Officer Randy Maccione pulled up to me while I was trying to cover alot of miles before eating, or coffee. I was fried before nine a.m. At first I was offered a ride, and I wondered if this was a front seat, or a back seat offer. It is a worry from too many viewing of Rambo, and also by not being raised in a way that enables a trust in authority figures. I explained that I couldn't take a ride. Inside I hoped that that was an option. My card was given, and ten minutes of talking flew by. It was fantastic to find that not only did I like this man, but we really got each other. In three and a half years Officer Maccione (Sorry, I didn't note a rank although I looked)would be retiring. We talked about places to see, shortness of life, and the illusion of living forever that we dangle in front of our days like carrots--so that so many never live. Another friend pulled up, so I began walking again. In a couple more hours I would see the same officer again for my picture taken next to his patrol car, a handshake, and a few more questions that left me feeling empowered, like this dream wasn't for people that couldn't make the grade, but for the few that could. I felt very honored to meet a man I respected, and also respected my dream. He did not see a wasting of days. He did not see someone that flushed the status norm. Out of nowhere I had more energy to do more morning miles than I ever do.